Wednesday 3 June 2009

3 Out Of 5 Ain't That Bad...

Monday was our big day in the city. It was really freaking awesome, and I wish I had all the time in the world just to talk about that- but unfortunately I have to blog about three days, so it will be short! We saw Big Ben, The London Eye, The Tower Bridge, The London Tower, The Globe, and Westminster Abbey!!!!

Andrew and I were the only ones brave enough to take the tour (it was 15 pounds...) but it was well worth it. The chapel is absolutely breath-taking and soaked rich of history! We saw the grave of King Henry V, Handel, Darwin, Newton, Ralph Van Williams, and even Jesus! (not really the Jesus part...)

But to be standing in a chapel that has seen the coronation of so many dynasties and funerals (Princess Di) was something you cannot understand until standing there. Quite humbling.

We saw the play As You Like It, written by Shakespeare in The Globe Theater-- which is a replica of the original stage it would have been performed while the writer was still alive. We got to stand in the groundlings section right in front of the stage for the whole play! Tiring, but amazing. :)

We set sail for Kenya yesterday and arrived late at night. We are now staying with a local missions group and our guide leader is actually a Pastor who I met 6 years ago when I traveled to Brazil with the Concordia Choir my freshman year! It was freakin nuts to see him.

The compound we are staying at is best described as something out of Jurassic Park (sweet guards included) and really beautiful.

Today we went to an elephant orphanage where we met about 18 baby elephants who had been orphaned out in the wild. We also met a teenie tiny rhino baby! He was the size of normal dog, and loved to charge. :)

After that we went to a giraffe petting zoo and I french kissed my new friend. I didn't even have to buy her dinner. :)

This morning we talked as a group about temptation from Luke chapter 4. We brought up the question as to why we might not look for the way out of our temptations when God has promised in His word that He will provide a door out of our temptations (1 Corinthians 10:13). I have been thinking that it might be more than just that sin is fun and we like it. Maybe it's because it's easier. To look for a door takes pain and suffering sometimes. It takes discipline. Maybe we can't handle delaying our gratification in life. I think it's like that for me. I also believe that often times I really don't believe that God will provide for me. That God will come through. I don't believe that I am worthy of it. I don't love myself enough to do the things that would be better for me to do...and I don't think I'm alone. :)

Tomorrow we go to a Christian school where we will lead songs and talk with them about stuff...I'm not so sure yet on what...I only know that my part is playing kids songs with them. :)

I am off to go swim in a pool in Kenya.

Peaches.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Matthew!!
I love reading this!
you are so hilarious. I am so exctied for you. This is already such a great experience for you- i am just so excited for you! :)
-Alix

Jean said...

YEAH!! You made it safely!! Keep up the blogs ... its nice to know where you are and what to pray for!! Love ya cuz - jean