Sunday 7 June 2009

Norwegians Ain't So Bad...

Nairobi has been good to us thus far. We have come into contact with a lot of people out here and have hopefully made some really good strides for the gospel and to further the mission of the church in Kenya.

The group on Friday went to a church in Kiambo to help them build their church. When we got there we immediately started hauling boulders from one side of the land to the layout of the floor so that they could be used for a solid foundation for the church once concrete was poured. We also trekked to the nearby river to fetch pails of water so that they could continue wetting down the concrete they had already poured. When we finished with this, they asked us to sing for them inside the new church that has no roof over it, and no floor poured. It was again humbling to stand where someday people in the slums will stand and praise our God.

After this we went into their current sanctuary- a poor excuse for even a rugged tool shed. It was the size of my father's shed, but made out of wood, and 20 years old. The floors are mud, and when it rains in Kenya (a common occurance I'm finding) they have to cancel church. You can see the need for a new sanctuary...

The pastor had been there from the beginning and was talking about his hopes for the future, and he charged us on the team with a challenge. He asked us to help them find enough money so that they can buy 20 pews for their new sanctuary. He told us that it would cost probably around 700 dollars and asked if that was possible as if he were expecting us to say no. I almost laughed in disgust and cried all at the same time when he told me this. It enrages me that we could be so frivilous with our spendings as a church in America, yet cannot help provide basic sitting needs for our brother's and sister's in Kenya. It upsets me that I live that way as well. It disgusts me that I could sit here and complain about the things I don't have, and never open my eyes to the world around me that's in need. Our group is in prayer about how we can help solve this need for them, including just donating the money ourselves so that these people can have a place to sit in worship. I would also like to encourage all of you out there who are reading this to think about what you could do to help the world in general, and this need specifically.

It's taken me so long to write this blog because I still am having a hard time about this situation. It's so inexcusable. It's horrible. It's a sinful world, and we ourselves are sinful, but Christ has called us to such a higher calling than this. This need is just an eye opening experience to soooooo many more examples of the needs in Christ's church throughout the world that have gone unmet and unnoticed. I'm not sure I can sit in on a building/reconstruction committee at a church ever again the same way. If a church in the slums of Kenya can meet and reach people with the gospel for 20 years in an 8x10 room without electricity, water, sound, or powerpoint- it makes you wonder...

After this we went to a nearby park for lunch where we took a nature hike to a waterfall, and under the waterfall some caves. The park was aptly called Paradise Lost. Very beautiful- there was a lake and everything. :) I even rode a camel in honor of my dear friend Elinor. :) It was a great place to be by myself and help process the morning with God.

This morning we went to Pastor Carlos' church in downtown Nairobi where we got to sing and act within a service, and here a traditional Swahili choir! I even stayed after the English service to participate in the Swahili service. It was awesome to see their faith through actions and song. I've never been in a louder service I think. It was very impactful!

We went to the shoppers market today and we were all bombarded by a million sellers asking us to look and buy!!! I almost got swallowed up in the wave of confusion, but I managed to start getting the hang of saying no. I feel like my skin got a little bit tougher today for standing up for myself over other people's feelings...maybe :)

Last night on my way back to my room I ran into a wild bunch of Norwegian bankers on holiday. I was carrying my guitar (actually my Uncle's guitar, thanks Uncle :) ) back to my room and they asked me to start playing for them with some of the other kids I was with as well. I proceeded to play and sing and hang out with them for the next 2 hours as we played everything from Bread to Michael Jackson. It was an amazing night in the fact that they also asked me to play some of my Christian tunes and we actually closed the night off with singing Amazing Grace together, the Benediction, and then How Great Is Our God. I would have never guessed it. They were very interested in the Christian music, and this 'American friend' as they termed it, was very very good. Of course they were drunk, and loved singing 'nah nah nah nah nah' instead of words when we couldn't remember very popular tunes' lyrics. :) It reminded me of home...minus 10 Norwegian guys and add either family or friends... :)

We set off for Kilimanjaro today. I can't freaking wait. I hope I make it to the top. If I do, you won't be hearing from me until after next Saturday...if I don't, you might be hearing from me much sooner than this. :) Here's hoping!

Alright, so in perfect Matt fashion, it's late, and I decided to blog to all of you instead of pack my bags for tomorrow!

Pray for our safety, and pray for God's church. That He would begin to stir a new movement of awareness to all of us within the church, of the needs that simply need us to fill them.

Titus 3

Doing What is Good
1Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, 2to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men.

3At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. 4But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. 8This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.



Peaches

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Matt, we could probably make that money for them in one fundraising concert. How many churches need pews? I'm sure Tim and James would be down. Let me know and I can work on setting something up.

Happy Climbing!

Blake

Sam said...

Nice vest.
...miss you, pal.

Leigh said...

Kilimanjaro?! I have to say, I am a tad bit jealous. I have wanted to climb Kilimanjaro for the last 5 years or so. But I will say that I am grateful to have just visited Africa. It is a humbling experience to see the way that most people live. Hope it was GREAT!

Jean said...

Matt ~ been thinking of you all week as you climb Kilimanjaro .... I have been praying that you are successful. Perhaps you found quiet time with God during the climb? Sitting here in small town Iowa, I can only live vicariously through your blogs. I am very proud of your mission trip and hope that you are blessed with each moment in Africa. Prays will continue for your safety and outreach to people around the globe.
Love & Hugs, Cuz Jean