Thursday 18 June 2009

Kilimanjaro, Nairobi, And Ghetto 89.5

So it's been a long time since my last blog! I hope everyone didn't worry too much about whether or not I was dead yet! :) Internet is scarce out here still, and I had trouble finding enough time to actually sit down and write this out!

I made it to the top of the largest free standing mountain in 4 continents! Who said you need to train for this kind of stuff?! Next time I'm going to do Everest...maybe not. :) It was really amazing though to see the sunrise over the Tanzanian plains! So amazing. Ridiculously hard. Very very very hard. Don't let my making it make everyone think it was easy. lol...

I don't have tons of time to blog this morning, but I wanted to let you all know I was alive and that I freaking made it up there! All 5985 meters! Yeayuh!

This week we have been living in Nairobi working in the slums, teaching children about AIDS, and playing with orphans. Yesterday we built a hedge fence at a rehabilitation center for street boys. I met a guy named Godfrey who loves to play guitar, so I rocked with him for a bit, and taught him some basic jazz theory. He was eager to learn! It was cool because I haven't really thought of myself as a teacher before.

Prayers are needed tonight because I have decided to spend the night with a local family in the worst slum in the world tonight. Our God is more than able to protect me and all the others that have decided to come along with. I can't wait to share a meal and experience their hospitality. Not to scare you (including my mother :) ) but apparently the U.N. doesn't allow this, and there are plenty of what they call 'machete gangs' that go around and chop people's limbs off...but, this will only happen if God allows it. So, those of us going have chosen to show love tonight in the slums. I'll talk with you guys later! :)


Peaches

1 comment:

Karen said...

OK... No machetes and chopping off limbs please! Geeze-o.

Praying extra.
And I'm glad you're not dead and that you made it to the top of Kilimanjaro! :)