Tuesday 14 July 2009

We'll Go Fishing In The Hole...

So, it's been a ridiculously long time since my last post, and so many things have happened! Finding internet in Rwanda has been a very difficult task, but I think I have a handle on it now.

When we arrived in Kigali we went to the Genocide Museum to learn a little bit about the tragic events that happened here in the 90's. It was devastating to hear about all the horrible things that happened. Neighbor killing neighbor. Children being smashed against walls to death. All because of a false racist segregation between 'hutu's' and 'tutsi's'- a term that was made by the white western men who came and segragated the people in the early 1900's- much like the Nazi's in Germany.

It was horrible to see the amount of injustice in this nation, and to hear and see interviews of President Clinton on how America would not respond because it was not in our own interest. A member from the U.N. actually said that all that was here were people- so there was no interest to intervene as thousands of victims were being slaughtered left and right.

It was heart breaking to think how little I've heard of this from school, or the media. And worse to think that the same thing is happening right now in the world- and how little we are hearing about the genocide happening now.

And I wonder what it takes for me to actually stand up for the value of humanity? How much is a human life worth to me? Can I feel this impassioned for people in the world without having to visit a museum and hear the horrible stories? Shouldn't me just hearing about injustice make me want to do something to help? Why don't I?

I think it's because I choose ignorance over knowledge. I'd rather not have to know about all the pain and suffering that happens in the world- that way I can sleep with myself at night. It's also honestly because I suck at valuing a human life above my own.

When we last left off on the adventures of Starsky and Hutch, I was out in Uganda rocking it at a boarding school named Destiny. Now we are out in Rwanda and we are busy doing a various amount of activities under the P.E.A.C.E. organization which is something that Saddleback Church in Orange County has started out here in Kibuye and Kigali to empower these cities to rise above the genocides that happened exactly 15 years ago this summer.

This plan is to empower the communities through teaching English, improving medical facilities, and visiting the community in their homes. Saddleback has set this operation up so that it is self sufficient and totally reliant on the people that live here in these cities. They are the ones operating everything. Visitor's, like my team, are used by the people to help them in whatever way they wish to use us. We have been training to teach English to these people for the last 7 months before our trip out here. I am happy to see that our training has paid off and we are all very excited to be out here! Not only do we get this great opportunity, but this will be the first time we will be involved in a ministry out here for an extended amount of time. I am excited to finally be able to establish relationships and learn how to love them in a greater way.

On Sunday I went to an Assemblies of God church and they asked me to sing for them. I played them a praise song I wrote a while back, and they compared me to Michael Jackson. ha ha...then they told me I had to stay out here and teach them music so that they could learn how to praise God also in English and through American pop music. I haven't ruled it out yet. The city here is amazing, and beyond beautiful.

We went swimming in lake Kivu later that day against the warnings of parasites and eels running wild. The weather was perfect and it couldn't go to waste! :) It was a wonderful day all in all. No parasites yet, mom. :)

Yesterday was my first day teaching- I am team teaching a group of 13 pastors in the area. They want to learn English so that they can still be relevant to the culture and so that they can teach their congregations English. They desire to come to America and to preach the gospel to us. It was heart breaking to hear their questions as to why the Christians in America allow so many ungodly and unbiblical things to happen in our country. They wish to teach us the scriptures so that we can be led back to the path of the righteous. It has been a humbling experience.

One of the pastor's in my class is having a baby today! I am so excited for him! He ran out of my class to the hospital, and I am going to visit him later today!

Yesterday Andrew and I went and played basketball with some local men nearby on the city courts. It was 5 on 5 in a game of 21. I had a great time playing in my sandals and slacks! Ha ha...but they asked us to be on their professional team for the weekend as they are having a big tournament- they offered to pay us each 20 dollars and want us to come to practice this whole week, I am for sure in. :)

I had my first bit of culture shock this past weekend meeting with a team from Saddleback who were only out here for two weeks and were giving us advice about the town. So many things have become unimportant now. I literally wanted to bash my head into a wall listening to them talk about germs and cleanliness and showering with cold water and driving everywhere....it was so ridiculous. I am not ready to go back to the states. I have noticed in my life through these minimal 9 weeks so many things that I believe are essential for living, but really have no importance at all. In fact, almost nothing matters. God matters. Relationships matter. Love matters. But safety doesn't. Being comfortable doesn't.

Needless to say, the culture shock is gonna be big...

Tonight I'm going fishing with a man I met last night while helping out at the local 'English Corner' (a place designed for people to come and practice English with others there). He is a fisherman for a living and we are going night fishing. Not everything was translated well between us, but there is something involving light and either a net, or they just jump into the boat once you shine the light on the water. I am not sure which of these will be the case- but I have been wanting to do this all freaking trip and I cannot wait! :)

I hope this finds all of you guys well! Sorry I can't write enough, I wish I could write for another hour or so!


Peaches.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Holy Moly.






That's all I got.

Blake said...

You need to watch Hotel Rwanda. It will make you cry. You should have come to more of my RA events and you would have been more current on world affairs. Or...if you listened to the music of The Orange Effect, you would at least have your interest peaked :)

Can't wait to hear the fish stories tomorrow

Matt said...

Blake- actually, when I get home I will tell you the real story of Hotel Rwanda. The people hear hate that movie because of it's inaccuracy. Yet, I did watch that movie and it is one of my favorite. I knew about the genocide. It's different to be here and see people walking around with no arms and legs- and to see monuments built to children who were killed by being smashed up against the wall. That's what I meant.

Matt said...

And I would love to listen to The Orange Effect, but I have no music from them yet!!!!!!

Blake said...

yeah, there were some technical issues but things are moving along. We are paying a guy to mix it. It will be ready when you get back and so will we. We have new material coming. I look forward to hearing more about your experience too. I can only imagine the devastation. Tut has told me many stories from his country, Sudan and my heart breaks.